Guest Blog by Jeanne Frazer®
Easy access to the internet and the subsequent explosion of data has changed how most of us research subjects and obtain information that we need to do our jobs and live our lives. You must get noticed – and writing is a great way to position yourself as an expert in your field. There’s nothing better than “buzz”—you want people talking about you as an expert—it drives new clients your way; in many cases, clients you capture without spending lots of money to advertise. A big benefit of posting content on the internet with your name and web information linked to it: getting the search engines to pick it up.
You have a number of options, based on the amount of time you are willing to spend and (in some cases) the amount of money. These options include:
- Books – printed versions or e-books: use as give-aways at seminars and events.
- Articles – published in trade journals or posted online.
- Blogs – write your own or guest blog.
- Social Media Discussions – find a blog, LinkedIn group or online news articles that will allow you to comment as an expert.
Ready to get started? Here are a few simple rules that should help:
- NO SELLING!
- Write to the level of your audience
- Relevant topics only and they must add value to the reader – what’s in it for them?
- Use keywords
- Include links to other relevant content on your site or others
- Let your personality and the personality of your law firm come through
- Be true to your brand
- NO SELLING!
Jeanne Frazer is President of vitalink®, a creative + strategic marketing think tank based in Raleigh, North Carolina. She is also a well-known speaking and author on a variety of marketing topics. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.