Did you know that November 15, 2010 is America Recycles Day? So, you run a law firm; why am I telling you about a nationally sponsored campaign run by Keep America Beautiful?
There are hundreds of annual community-focused events just like this one that present a great opportunity to promote your law firm through your participation. These events run the gamut from National Safety Awareness Month to Perennial Gardening Month. Choosing and supporting an event that works for your law firm and staff gives you the opportunity to promote a cause and garner positive publicity for your law firm.
Many of the sponsors of these national “event days” will have press kits that you can utilize to showcase your efforts. For example, Keep America Beautiful offers press release templates and free graphics (sample shown here) you can use on your website to show support for the event. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides planners, brochures, research data and video clips to help you promote their Share the Road motorcycle safety program (a great idea for you PI attorneys out there).
The first thing to do is decide on a cause to support. Get buy-in from everyone to build the “buzz”, and then start planning. Allow 60-90 days to plan and implement, just to be safe. Things to consider:
- Website content and updates
- Publications you might use, i.e., a downloadable “tips” PDF or a printed brochure you’ll distribute
- Include information about your event in your newsletter and blog
- Involve your clients and those on your prospect list
- Plan related seminars or other events
- Write one (or more) press releases to be distributed and add them to your website
- Include a link to the event page on your website everywhere possible
- Make it meaningful and have fun
Finally, use your employees and their networks to promote your sponsorship of the event by having them comment on their Facebook and Twitter pages so their friends, family and other contacts all hear about it. If all goes well, this can be an annual event that your staff and clients will look forward to! Read more about corporate citizenship in our September 2010 newsletter.